Monday, July 30, 2012

Making Lemonade

You know the old saying, "What do you do when life gives you lemons?" Well, my lemonade came in the form of a new mirror and some rearranging and painting. Before I get to the photos of my reinvented dining room, I want to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences over the death (or possibly just injury) of my pagoda mirror. A few of you mentioned having it fixed/repaired. I did check into that. One restoration guy quoted me three to five times what I paid for the mirror. So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I have kept all the bits and pieces in a safe place when I decide to tackle that project. But, for the time being here is my alternative . . .
The mirror is one I've had my eye on for a long time at my friend Jennifer's shop, tag. It's actually a modern take on a pagoda form. Since it is a lot smaller in scale than my former mirror, I added some sconces on either side. 
I've had these sconces stashed in a closet for a while, and they were originally kind of a greige Restoration Hardware-looking finish (sorry, I was in too much of a hurry to take before photos). I decided to go with black and gold since the gold mirror has black flecks on it. I just spray painted them black then painted on details with gold leaf paint. All during the afternoon before the party Saturday night . . . nothing like the last minute.

Then, I just moved my white porcelain lamp with the black shade in from the other room to add more of the black and white combination. I also finally got around to hanging my creamy curtains from an estate sale.
Zoe had to get in the photo.

I tacked on some decorative trim which I will have properly sewn on soon, but this worked for the party . . . 
I also finally got around to getting a fiddle leaf fig tree . . .
Nothing like a party to get you motivated to spruce up your house. 
Well, that's it for now, but I will share photos of my new French doors/living room soon so stay tuned (if you follow me on Instagram you may have already seen them . . . I'm having a hard time getting a decent photo of them however). 


9 comments:

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Dining room looks great Kathy! Honestly I love that mirror just as much!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

You have been a busy girl. The new mirror is quite fabulous - so sorry to hear about the white Pagoda! The trim on your curtains is so pretty - it really is all about the details isn't it?

Thanks for commenting with such kind words on my blog today - I appreciate it so much!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

SHERRY HART said...

I already forgot the other mirror:)
Room looks fantastic!1

Emily | Recently said...

Awwww, it looks great! I really love the sconces and the black and gold. Your curtains are gorgeous too, and with the fiddle leaf it's perfection. PS- Sometimes I invite people over just so I'll get some crap done!

Sadie + Stella said...

Love love love the trim!

mb said...

Looking very good. Very good.
You are on facebook, check out the store Again and Again. They just posted a photo that you might like...
Marybeth

Melissa Crochet said...

Everything looks great and the trim on the curtains is the perfect touch. Well done girl!

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

It looks great and I love what you did with the sconces. I agree with Bri, this mirror looks just as good. - Brandy

Katherine Velie said...

LOVE it...where did you get that great trim for the drapes??
Kat