Monday, February 4, 2013

Woe is My Toe

Okay, so everyone knows Mondays suck. They just do. But to add insult to injury or should I say injury to insult, I fell down my last two steps this morning and either broke one of my big toes or tore a ligament or something extremely painful.

I need a sign like this apparently. I didn't want to show a photo of my toe because it's gross.

So, I hobbled around getting my kids ready for school, etc. Then I was told by my husband that I needed to run a check to the bank. Immediately.  So, I threw on some jeans, my puffy jacket and my leopard house slippers (because they were the only shoes that wouldn't kill my toe) and ran out the door. After depositing the check, I thought to myself, "You have no shoes besides flip-flops that won't kill your toe." Seriously, I only own boots and ballet flats, no UGGs. I have running shoes but didn't think I could get my big fat toe in. And I can't wear flip flops in 30 degree weather or my broken toe would fall off from frostbite. So, I had the bright idea to stop by Target on my way home thinking surely they have some clearance fake UGGs I could shove my foot in. But, first, let me back up and mention that I'm wearing my glasses, have a huge tumor-sized zit on my chin, no makeup and no bra. I have hit a new low. So, I limp/shuffle into Target wearing these house slippers:
 They could pass for real shoes, right? Right??

I was certain that everyone I knew would be there staring at my house slippers. But I think I escaped detection. However, Target had no fake UGGs except for kids. Damnit. Nothing looked remotely comfortable. So I hobble back to my car, defeated. Then, I realized Marshall's was open. There laid my salvation as they had a cushy, easy to slip-on pair of loafer/driving moccasin type shoes that didn't hurt my swollen toe. Sold. Thank you, Cynthia Rowley. I knew I liked you for a reason.

I'm not sure what I did to piss off the universe today, but I'm sorry . . . I really am. Or maybe clumsiness is the only explanation. Either way, I'm going to be super good from now on. Promise.

And just to reassure you perplexed people out there who were wondering if I really still write an interior design blog and not a complaining one, here is some design-related bit of what-not . . .
I found this great Chin Hua desk from Century at an estate sale this weekend. While I was unsure of where to put it at first, a happy accident (meaning we couldn't get it through certain doorways without dismantling it) had me placing it in the corner of our living room. My husband loved it here and immediately dragged a computer up from the basement to put on it. Because we can't have a room without several electronic devices in it. Excuse the cords. I'm hoping to put some baskets or something under there to camouflage some of that soon. 

I hope your Monday is going well and doesn't involve broken bones.

19 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

not sure which is worse: the injury (so sorry) or the fact that you found the desk that shoulda been MINE (so jealous)...

heal quickly...donna

Raina Cox said...

Oh, that sucks. I'm extremely clumsy and have broken both big toes (and most of the others) multiple times. My husband jokes he's going to buy me steel-toed house slippers.

My Interior Life said...

Thanks, Donna. And Raina, it's good to know I'm not the only klutz around. Steel-toed house slippers? Now, there's an idea!

bluehydrangea said...

So sorry about your toe!! And dang!! that desk is just what I have been looking for!! It would probably help your karma if you passed it on to me..just trying to be helpful.

lizziefitz said...

Sorry about your toe & chin tumor. Please post pic of Marshall shoes;))

therelishedroost said...

I did that in grammar school and ouch did that hurt!! Hope you heal fast!
Plus Leopard slippers are so cute!
xo Karolyn

Tobe | BIA said...

no fun! but that desk sure would make me feel better! heal quickly oxox

Kim said...

I actually love the leopard houseslippers. I wish I had some!! Just found you through Design Indulgence, clicked over because of your comment about Nashville. I grew up there and my heart still resides!! xo

Heather Peterson said...

Too funny:
First, my sister in law fell down ONE step this weekend and broke her ankle. (I was convinced she was being a baby, but in fact it is fractured. Which will be awesome since she has a 4-month old.)

Second, my mom and I bought that exact desk for my parent's den/office some time ago!

It's like parallel universes today my friend.

Hope you feel better soon. And yes, those house shoes are adorable.

Heather
loveyourspace.blogspot.com

Tiffany Leigh said...

My boyfriend broke his toe last Christmas, and even though he's a big tough guy you can tell he was in a lot of pain! I hope you heal up nice and quick. xo

Donnamae said...

So sorry to hear about your toe...but the story that goes along with it, is priceless! Here's to an uneventful day! :)

Melissa Crochet said...

You are lucky it was just a toe and not something else! Love that desk and the lamp is crazy good!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I have to agree, that is a bad Monday! I think your slippers are stylish compared to some I've seen people wearing in public. Love the desk - awesome find! Things can only go up from here!!- which reminds me, when I was at Joann's last week the cashier had one of those metal halos around her head and I asked her if she had a car accident and she said she fell down the steps and broke her neck! Can you believe that? She was lucky in that the fracture didn't reach her spinal cord or cause her any paralysis but she said if she's not wearing her halo her head is a little wobbly. That made me want to hold my neck the rest of the day!! Feel better!

Kim

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Laura Collins said...

It is the worst feeling to stub a toe or anything toe related!! Hah- those house slippers totally passed though- Get better soon! Also LOVE the desk- amazing find!

Laura

gracefullysearching.blogspot.com

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Sucks about the toe. Hope it feels better soon. I'm glad you got the desk. It's a good one. - Brandy

Erin said...

Blergh, so sorry about the toe!

Love the new desk and am looking for something exactly like it for myself. You always find the best stuff.

SHERRY HART said...

Broken toe...been there and that sucker takes 3 months to heel....you might need a boot....I did!

charmaine said...

Hope your toe is better! I love your house slippers and the desk! Great find!

LindsB said...

SUCH a hot desk! love it!