Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mission (Almost) Accomplished

Over the weekend I finally finished a project . . . well, sort of (is anything ever finished, really?). Remember my Parson's-style console/sofa table I got off Craigslist? I bought some grasscloth wallpaper a while back off eBay and finally set to recovering it this weekend. Here's the result . . .                                       
Just to remind you, here's what it looked like before . . . 
Bad 70's laminate.

Now, fresh grasscloth . . .
Let me tell you, this was not an easy task. And seriously, I don't think you want my DIY steps . . . I'm not the most adept DIY'er. I don't always make the best decisions. Like the laminate, for instance. Some of it was peeling off, so I thought, "I'll just remove it all and that will make a clean surface for the grasscloth to adhere to." Boy was I wrong. Once I started removing the laminate, I realized that it was starting to peel off the MDF underneath leaving holes. So, I quickly scrapped that idea and didn't remove it all - just some small sections (two of the legs and one of the sides). Second came the issue of how to adhere the grasscloth to the table. I had read spray adhesive worked. Not in my case. So, I went to plan B - hot glue. I used a box cutter to cut most of the paper, then I just wrapped it like a present. The legs still need some fine tuning. My husband took a very flattering photo of me during the process . . . 
If you'll recall from my previous post, I was hoping to paint the grasscloth to provide some contrast with my sofa. I had been leaning toward a dark, saturated blue, but now that I changed my lamps to black and I'll be painting my adjacent dining room blue, I think the table needs to be brighter. Now, I'm thinking of either a creamy white or going in a totally different direction with a coral. Any thoughts? Here it is again . . . 
Of course, I'm still searching for the perfect fabric to put on the stools which will reside under the table (at least some of the time). So, that might help make my decision as well. One decorating dilemma solved just to create another. Does it ever end? I kind of hope not, because I love the process (even if it sometimes is painstakingly slow in my case).

And through it all, my dear, patient husband humors my decorating whims. So, it's only fitting that I thank him today for putting up with me for all these years as today is our 14th anniversary (as I've said before, I was a child bride). 
Happy Anniversary, Matt . . . I love you!!

17 comments:

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

You finally did it! Those lamps are dope, keep em where they are. As for what color to paint the table, I vote coral!

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

Another vote for coral! But definitely wait until you find the perfect fabric...

Looks great so far!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Jessie said...

Happy Anniversary! Your console table looks fabulous now!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Happy Anniversary and wow, what a great idea! It looks great. I have a role of grasscloth left over from a project and I just may do something similar, I have a parson's style side table. If I do I'll remember to credit you!
Janell

Raina Cox said...

I'm with Bri, and may I say I adore those little stools.

Happy Anniversary, you two crazy kids!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary to you both!! Why is is that the simplest of projects always kick your butt? Glad you hung in there - the table looks fab and I dig the new lamps. I say wait on the paint color til the fabric choice is made, but I hope you get to paint it coral!

The enchanted home said...

So impressed..it came out gorgeous!! Love the whole setting, and might I say you two make a darling couple. Happy Anniversary!

Heather (love your space) said...

I would leave the grasscloth alone--seems like you would lose all the natural variation in the texture if you painted--and let the lamps and the stool fabric give you the contrast. Congrats on a big project done!

bluehydrangea said...

Kathy,
The table looks great!! I am so impressed! And that dress you are wearing looks fabulous!! Details please!

My Interior Life said...

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to leave it as is for now until I find the right fabric for my benches (which could take a while knowing me).

Oh, and Sissy, the dress I'm wearing in the last photo (the black one) is from the Gap. The photo where I'm redoing the table I'm wearing a dress from Boden from a couple of summers ago - wasn't sure which dress you were interested in.

Thanks!

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

Happy Anniversary to you (and your husband)!! The table looks great. You must have a lot more patience than I do!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Great job! I am not good at DIY projects (after many years of not realizing that) so I think you did a wonderful job! I think coral may look great! Happy Anniversary! Take care, Caroline

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

woot woot! Looks fab as is though I think coral would be the bomb as well. I bet that was a job and a half. I'm wanting to gold leaf my parsons table but I'm daunted by the work involved.

Happy belated anny'.. hope you guys had a great time.

Interior Design Musings said...

OK, LOVE the console table. Quite fab. M.

Dayka Robinson said...

we have the same stools (except mine are orange)--great minds think alike!

René said...

Happy anniversary! Great job on the table. Now I'm wishing that I had kept my grasscloth paper instead of selling it.