Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Menagerie

I must admit, I love animals. The living ones and the statuary versions. I'm not really talking taxidermy here as I don't love the formerly living stuffed versions of animals. I've been thinking about animal statues a lot lately especially the larger versions (not really the smaller ones like Foo dogs, Staffordshire dogs or the ubiquitous elephant garden seat), ever since I saw a pair of stone greyhounds in my local garden shop recently that resembled this one:

Then, I immediately thought of all the dog statues I had seen scattered throughout my Pinterest boards. Not sure I love this stark white one, he may be too mod for me.

I kind of like this guy hanging out in the stairwell rather unexpectedly on his leopard carpet next to his Louis Phillipe mirror - how dignified!

Barrie Benson injects some playfulness into this modern decor with a pair of cuties flanking the fireplace.


I love the whimsical nature of these hand-painted porcelain pooches, not to mention the amazing orange lacquered walls, decorative molding and ceiling! My friend Nelya noticed a theme in my latest pins and actually suggested this photo to me. Aren't blog friends the best?

Next up, there are elephant garden seats in this room designed by Ruthie Sommers but also a dog statue that is rather unobtrusive.
Do you see it? It's like a design game of Where's Waldo. I'll show a different angle so it's easier to find.
He's just hanging out on the hearth, cozying up to the fire.

And in another one of Ruthie's rooms . . . a poodle stands sentinel. Isn't this the sofa she used in Drew Barrymore's office that was featured in Domino? I'm thinking it is, or one very similar. Maybe this was from her showroom. Anyway, moving on . . .

Of course, if dogs aren't your thing, there are always other large animal statues with which you can decorate your domicile. Here are some large brass deer that would make quite a statement. 


Or how about a monkey?
So, where am I going with this? I really have no idea. I just wanted to show you what's going through my brain and that I might break down and get a big dog statue at some point. Or I may not. What are your thoughts on my animalia obsession (as Nelya diagnosed it)? Do you think they're cute or should I stick with my living, breathing animals (of which I have three)?

9 comments:

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Hey girl I thought you bought some. Unless I'm dreaming and my brain is being stupid. Brain is being stupid again. Off to work have a good one!

MFAMB said...

i have one of those monkeys. he is white and he is a badass.

i want a menagerie too.

Ashley said...

Ceramic pups in pairs are my favorite, especially in the Barrie Benson/Domino room. They look like they are guarding the non-existent fire in that fire place.

I love pets, but I'm too much of a neat freak to open my home to hairy, pooping animals. Perhaps I'm better suited to the fake animals?

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Ava has the mod white one in her room. Every Christmas I put it by the pink Christmas Tree and give it a shiny gold tinsel boa. My mother-in-law thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am :)Great post!

Karena said...

Kathy they really add a lot of interest! Love them by the fireplace, though I am pretty particular about their finish, how they are sitting, standing etc!

I hope you will Come and enter my amazing Cross Bottle Guy Giveaway!You will love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

nelya said...

I am so down with the menagerie. I have a small, but budding collection myself and am always on the hunt for another addition.

Now get this, I just realized that I actually visited that gorgeous orange lacquered hall. I must have had a brain fart when I linked you to that image. It's from a show house here in Atlanta that we visited a few years back. It's actually a tiny hall/vestibule that connects a master bathroom to the closet...luxe! So I met those fine pooches in person. Probably even patted them on the noggin. Clearly my brain is suffering from too much design inspiration. I can't even remember where I've been! OY!!!

Erin said...

I love them all -- I'm actually pretty obsessed with that dog statue that you pinned. I can't bring myself to click on him because I just know he won't be 8 feet tall in real life, but I desperately want him to be...

In other news, two animal statues might just do the trick for covering up the ugly grates on my fireplace hearth. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cris Angsten said...

I recently was hired to redecorate the rooms in a B&B - one of the rooms was called "The Dog Room" because it was filled with dog portraits and patterns and such. It was cute, instead of being sophisticated like the images you have here. Wish I had seen these images sooner - a large brass greyhound by the fireplace would be so cool!

Dulce said...

I love foo dogs for their smaller scale version. I never once thought of these, which remind me of miniature greygrounds-and they are such lovely dogs.

loving your blo btw- just found you :)