Wednesday, August 31, 2011

In the Bedroom

Ooh, doesn't that sound sexy? I came up with all kinds of titles that sounded much more suggestive, so I thought I would keep it simple and fairly clean. Bedrooms have been on my mind a lot lately mainly because I finally got an upholstered headboard. Whoot-whoot. Very exciting. Here it is . . .
It's the Scroll Headboard from West Elm. I got it on a whim as an anniversary present last month because A. it was cheap/on sale, and B. I've been wanting an upholstered headboard for SO very long. West Elm will not be selling these in stores anymore - only online - so they were selling off the last of their inventory of the "in-stock" natural chunky basketweave fabric, which luckily I liked.  I got it for a steal - $200 because it didn't have hardware with it (it would've been closer to $250 with it). The headboard sells online for $549 plus shipping. Score. Now, I realize if I were crafty and bought plywood, batting, fabric, etc. and made my own headboard it might have been cheaper, but it also wouldn't have ever been finished due to personal bodily injury or general aggravation. This was totally worth it for me and my instant gratification needing self.

I actually paid for the headboard by selling my old sleigh bed on Craigslist. Here's the old bed:
I know it's an acceptable bed, but after eight years I wasn't wild about it. Time to move on.

I think my new headboard resembles this one featured in a Kay Douglass-designed home in the September issue of Veranda . . . although this one is custom.





I recently picked up a Batik fabric at an estate sale (that I think might have been a tablecloth), so I draped it across the end of the bed for a little Bohemian vibe . . .
I, of course, need to pick some bedding. I still have the Hotel bedding from Restoration Hardware featured in the photo of my old bed, but I stripped it off for this photo (that's just a plain down comforter on the bed and plain pillow forms). I bought the gray linen "M" pillowcases at an estate sale for $8 for the pair. I'll also need a bedskirt/dust ruffle since I no longer have a bed with a frame (just a metal bed frame attached to the headboard). I imported the benches from the living room because I love a bed with a bench/benches at the end. If I decide to keep them here, I will need to also decide on a fabric to reupholster them in. More decisions! I also need to decide what to do behind the bed. Since the headboard is rather large and dramatic, I'm not sure how much is needed. Oh, and I need curtains.

West Elm styled the bed with a gallery wall behind it. 
I like the look, so that's a definite idea.

Here are some of my inspiration bedrooms . . . 
Source: flickr.com via Kathy on Pinterest

I love the play of patterns and textures in this space, and of course, the Chinoiserie bench with suzani fabric. I also like the small white sunburst mirror above which resembles the gold-leafed one I have. I'm not sure a sunburst will work with the shape of my headboard or not. I still have to play around with it.
Source: flickr.com via Kathy on Pinterest

A lot going on, but I like it. Another gallery wall AND a sunburst, plus wallpaper, plus a lot of pattern. Crazy but it works.

I just love the next two rooms even though they bear no real resemblance to mine. It's the overall feel that appeals to me.
Source: flickr.com via Kathy on Pinterest

Source: flickr.com via Kathy on Pinterest

Now, I'm definitely not changing the color of my walls as I love my Ashley Gray (Benjamin Moore). It's hard to tell from my photos because I took them in late afternoon, but there is more of a contrast between the wall and headboard than it seems. And I'm actually digging the neutral palette for the bedroom with just some pops of color.

After I saw this photo from Lonny, I had another crazy thought . . .

How about this?
Yeah, I don't think my husband would go for it. I've got some other ideas up my sleeve, but I need to slow down and process what's on my plate right now.

So, do you think I'm headed in the right direction?

19 comments:

Fran said...

Such a good decision to get the headboard - I love it!! I actually love the last lonny picture w/the faux molding framing the headboard. It looks like you have enough wall space to do that. I'm curious to see what you end up doing - gallery wall, fabric choices, etc. Lots of decisions - it would take me a whole year to decide!! :)

lisaroy said...

Love your headboard! I recently got an upholstered bed and I love it. Your room is looking lovely and I actually like your plain wall behind it because your lamps are so great. But the possibilities are endless! :)

bluehydrangea said...

Great deal, great headboard!! I love the batik throw at the end of the bed and as the headboard fabric. It is amazing how different your bedroom looks! Love it!

Emily | Recently said...

We've been talking about making a headboard for three years, no joke. I think 200 bucks is soooo worth it and the shape is just beautiful. Love the rug and the bohemian fabric. It already looks great and I have no doubt you'll make it look fabulous when it's all finished!

Kirsten Harr said...

Fun! I love that headboard! I can't wait to see what you do.

Melissa Crochet said...

Love your bedroom and the direction it's going. That fabric at the end of the bed is perfect! You posted some pretty fab pics there girlfriend...now I have the itch for change.

Meghan said...

Personally I liked the batik on the headboard because I like the contrast against the wall and boho vibe....you could always staple it on and remove it when you get sick of it? Tell your husband it's just temporary.... ;)

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

What a great deal!! I've been coveting an upholstered headboard for a LONG time too. You got a deal!! I really loved the Batik covering the headboard as well. You've got lots of options in your already lovely bedroom.

tableandtop.com said...

I really like the headboards. My favorite is the second to last image. I love the orange and pattern that is has. Great post!!

'Please visit our new website www.tableandtop.com'

Ashley said...

WHAT!?!?!? AHHHHHmazing bargain, I am so jealous. $200, that's it?

Your inspiration photos are fantastic, and I like the blend of fabrics and prints you are aiming for. Keep the "Ashley Gray" paint on the walls--it looks fabulous as is.

Will the ottomans be recovered?

nelya said...

Absolutely headed in the right direction. I love your yellow lamps! I have to admit I am very partial to the batik print and think it looks really amazing on shapely headboard. By the way, once again our parallel lives intersect. Last summer we too bought a new bed. A heavy woven linen/burlap upholstered bed to be exact. The bed we replaced was, you guessed it, a dark sleigh bed much like yours. The coincidences continue.

I also love those stools at the foot of the bed. Super nice. :0)

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and I Love! The bedspread REALLY makes the room warm and pretty. Read the "doggie" post too and I'm SO sorry! Heartbreaking! You did the right thing though so don't beat yourself up. A good home is GREAT and you made that happen.
xox,
Jen

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Loooovee it! The shape is so interesting! I have wanted an upholstered headboard for ages now but they are so expensive! Your bedroom looks so warm and inviting!

Interior Design Musings said...

Love the headboard and a fantastic price. I like the light linen look. It is so versatile and you can take it in so many different directions. M.

Heather said...

The headboard is great. I don't know if you'd consider it, but wallpaper on the wall behind the headboard could look really great. Good luck!

Kim said...

LOVE the new headboard! Love the fabric that's on it too. And, oh...that room you posted with the white paneled walls and floors. *swoon* So funky cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Anonymous said...

Just found you blog. Love the headboard. Also loving your night table. Do you mind saying where you purchased it?

My Interior Life said...

Thanks for the sweet comments, everyone. I've decided to keep my headboard neutral for now and work around it to add color, pattern and texture elsewhere. And thanks for stopping by Anon. My white nightstand was found here locally in Nashville at a store called Southeastern Salvage - they have them in other cities as well. It's been a while since I purchased it, and it was actually an unattractive wood tone so we sanded it down and painted it a high gloss white. I love the shape of it. Thanks again!

Furniture shop baltana said...

Last one is great with very good looking design fabric always try different fabric differente from trend .

We are the Manufacturer Upholstered BedVisit Store located in baltana 5 km from Chandigarh Elante Mall