Friday, March 25, 2011

It's Black and White

If you've read my blog over the past year, you've probably seen this chair.
As per usual, I have waffled back and forth over which fabric I should use to recover it. I thought I had settled on one. I ordered the fabric, and it sat neatly folded in my bedroom for months. I just couldn't pull the trigger. Something was holding me back. Recently, I painted the chair's legs black and threw the fabric over it to get an idea of what it might look like.
Premier Fabric's Chipper in black and white.
I like it, I just don't love it. Something was bothering me. It was guilt. You see, I have feelings for another. I might actually like him more. Here he is. Don't judge. 
I know it may sound crazy, but I've been loving this Marimekko Joonas fabric for quite some time. It's been in my inspiration files on some very similar chairs, as a matter of fact.
Christina Murphy

Elle Decor
And then, more recently, I saw that the ever-stylish Christine at Bijou and Boheme recovered her bergere chairs in Joonas.
And just the other day, when I posted this photo of my foyer with the chair in the corner . . . 
I got a nice comment from Nelya at Head Over Heels informing me that she used Joonas on a sofa and loves it . . . 
That's her littlest boy a few years ago. Isn't he a cutie? Even kids look good on Joonas.
I must say I'm a little obsessed with Joonas now. Maybe it's my Finnish heritage (Marimekko is Finnish, and I'm a quarter Finnish -  my Finnish maiden name has double vowels and all!) or my more modern leanings these days, but I think the answer is clear. There are no shades of gray on this one. The answer is in black and white.

Are you as taken with Joonas as I am?

26 comments:

lisaroy said...

I would definitely go for the Joonas! And that's coming from a half Finlander too! :)

Ashley said...

Go for it, Kathy! The legs and the lines of the chair would compliment the print really well. Where'd you get your foyer rug? It's great.

Happy weekend!

A Perfect Gray said...

The mj fabric, for sure!

donna

nelya said...

Do it. Don't hesitate. You'll love it.

P.S.-Thanks for the kind words about my little one. And the sofa. :0)

A Perfect Gray said...

back to obsess over that fabric. if you decide NOT to use it, I will send you my address and you may ship it to ME!

donna

Kim said...

oh yes. That fabric is a winner. Love it. So...whatcha gonna do w/the first fabric now? :)

My Interior Life said...

Thanks, everyone. I am definitely going with Joonas now. I just ordered one yard as I found it half price on Amazon and they only had one yard left. Hopefully, I can find another yard for a good deal. If not, I guess I'll have to spring for the full price yard unless someone knows of another economical source.

Lisa, good to meet another Finn.

Ashley, I bought my rug a couple of years ago at a great Nashville store that was unfortunately going out of business so I got a great deal (but was sad to lose the store).

Nelya, thanks again for the vote of confidence.

Donna, ha, thanks for the offer!

Kim, I think I might use the other fabric on my breakfast area chairs if I can get them reliably fixed!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

hey girl let me know if you want to tackle this yourself and I will help you. Unless you decide to go with a professional in which case I don't blame you its expensive fabric. You can always do the back in a different fabric and just use the Marimekko in the front??

BTW I bought the floor lamp, I was in my car ready to leave and decided to go back and get it. bahaha

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for including my chairs in your roundup and I have to say, so happy you're going with the Joonas- I just adore it and your chair is the absolute perfect shape for it. Very happy to have found your blog- loving it!

Design Elements said...

go for it! happy weekend!

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Kathy - I would have sworn those first chairs were yours - so similar! How nice to know exactly how yours will end up looking! Love it!

Loretta

SHERRY HART said...

Kathy...I LOVE that fabric and yes...yes...yes....do it!

angela | the painted house said...

I'd say you are in pretty fine company there! I think Joonas would be very happy there covering that chair. Can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

That is going to look great! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving a message! I truly appreciate it.

Andrea said...

It's going to look amazing! Love your new choice.

Gabriella {sensiblyluxe} said...

Gorgeous print, I'm a fan!

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

I do love the new fabric! The first one was nice too, but.... I think you made the right choice. Can't wait to see it and I will keep my eye out for a good deal on an extra yard!

Gretchen O. said...

Love it! I think it would be pretty with colored piping to define the pretty wings of the chair (just an idea)...but I would have to say your answer is definely sitting in your foyer in b/w! You can use the other for pillows some day...or for a client!

The enchanted home said...

Love the fabric, makes such a statement and adds so much punch to the room...its great and I think you won't regret it! Nice blog..nice to "meet you"...please stop by me, too have a newish blog about my new house and my love, like you, for design/decor...www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Have a great afternoon!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

You absolutely must do the Joonas. It would somehow fulfill me :)

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

doooo it. It will really modernize it. The spots are ehhhh and the joonas is oooooo. (That's better than ehhh.)

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Do the Joonas, your inspiration chairs are gorgeous, and I know you will love it on your chair too. It will be beautiful. I just found your blog, I can't wait to read more.

Fran said...

Very much so!! I definitely like the Joonas better than the chipper!!

bluehydrangea said...

Joonas!! go for it!! And where are you? Hope everything is Alright!! Maybe you are busy recovering your chair yourself...

alison giese Interiors said...

I think the Joonas is a clear winner - DO IT!!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late to the party but wanted to add my 2 cents. I would go for the Joonas fabric! It looks amazing! Thanks for the new obsession!!