Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Decorating Disaster & Delight

Okay, so it's a lame title, but I've basically got some good news and some very bad news to share. First, the very bad news. I must warn you . . . those with a weak stomach might want to look away as this photo involves decorating carnage. I'll let the photos do the talking . . .


Yes, people, the pagoda mirror died a very unnatural death. And I don't think there's any way Humpty can be put back together again. Too many small broken pieces, too much weight (it weighs a ton, seriously). Like my beloved mirror, I'm broken. Heartbroken. If you have no idea what it used to look like, here's a reminder of the mirror in all its glory . . . 
So, what happened? I have no idea really. I was sitting in the adjoining living room when I heard the most ungodly noise and about jumped out of my skin. I looked up just in time to see the pagoda fly across the room and thud on my newly refinished floor leaving a gash and some white paint. My best guess is that when the floor guys took down the mirror while refinishing the floors and then re-hung it, it wasn't on the hanger very well allowing it to work its way out of the wall. The crash happened almost a week after they re-hung the mirror, but there's a pantry door on the hallway adjacent that is often opened and closed which I'm assuming jarred it loose. Tragic. The miraculous thing is that it didn't break the mirror portion or the glass table below. It scratched the hell out of my dining room table however and took out my lampshade (different lamp than pictured above):
So, of course this leaves a gaping hole on the wall just in time for my husband's 40th birthday party on Saturday. I need a placeholder at least for now. I've got some ideas brewing so stay tuned. 

And the good news? There's a great tag sale coming up hosted by two of my local blogging buddies, Chateau A GoGo and The Insane Domain! You must check it out if you live in or near the Nashville area (it's in Brentwood, specifically) because these ladies have great vintage finds. Here are the deets . . . 
Also, check out their blogs for previews of some of the items up for sale. You won't want to miss it!

16 comments:

nelya said...

Nooooo. I'm too upset to comment further. :-

Unknown said...

oh noooo!! i looooove that mirror, its soooo beautiful. So sad!

alison giese Interiors said...

Oh, Kathy! I think I'm at least as partially devastated as you, as I have Luuuurved (and not-so-secretly) coveted that mirror since I laid eyes on it.
Are you sure it can't be repaired? It's such a great piece, it would be worth a little $$ to take it to someone really good??
So, so sad for you.
Dammit.
If it's not in the cards to have it repaired, I have no doubt that you'll spy some other piece of fabulousness on one of your treasure hunts.

Take care,
ag

Raina Cox said...

Good night, Kathy, that's a damn shame!!

Tonight, I will light a candle for your glorious mirror.

RIP drippy beauty.

bluehydrangea said...

Kathy,
that makes me sick!! I am so sorry!! I LOVED that mirror!! Please, please try to glue it back together...or find someone who can.

Emily | Recently said...

Noooooooooooo!!! (That's me screaming in agony.) Can't believe that happened, but thank goodness you have a slew of like minded friends to mourn with you. I loved that mirror like it was my own.! :(

TN Mimi said...

Oh, nooooo! So sorry that happened. Hopefully the hunt for a new mirror will be fun.

mb said...

Oh dear Kathy, it is always something living in the real world. I agree with Sissy (hello sweet Sissy, I miss you)
maybe you can get the mirror fixed? A stiff mixture of of plaster of Paris, glue and a glass of wine might help. The glue to put as much together as you can, plaster of paris to fill in the bits in pieces, the wine for you.
Have a great 40th birthday celebration this weekend.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

So frickin sad. Just so sad. Good luck with the place filler. ... and have a fantastic time at the party!!

Amanda said...

oh nooooo!! this totally made my stomach lurch. So sorry for you! But maybe there will be something good to come of this- maybe an even more awesome mirror will cross your path?

SHERRY HART said...

Tragedy of epic proportion. I would cry for days.....

A Perfect Gray said...

lord. I loved that mirror...

Unknown said...

My condolences for your lost... BUT...Happy Happy Joy Joy- you won our giveaway! (Holla!!!) BUT... When I email you it will not go through...SO- please email us on our blog and we will coordinate getting you a scarf :)
~ Ann

The Pink Pagoda said...

Hi, I'm blog hopping and came across your devastating post. Where might I have seen your dining room before? I remember having admired the blue paint and coveted your pagoda mirror. I really think you can have that fixed. In Dallas where I live there are restoration places that could make it look new and beautiful. I hope you try -- it's so worth it!

Ashley said...

I'm about a decade late to this memorial service, but I'm terribly sorry for your loss, Kathy. I guess this means another great mirror is on its way to you sooner than later!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I feel your pain. Our ornate mirror decided to do a double flip off our dresser while we were on vacation. Thankfully, the only collateral damage was a vase that I can fix. The mirror was still intact and we were able to glue the other parts back together. It could've been bad since our dogs were home (our neighbor checked on them each day). I was considering painting the mirror and since some of the paint chipped off from the fall, I'm taking it as a sign.