Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One is the Loneliest Number

If one is good, then two are better, right?
I say definitely yes. Pairs are good.
Since the dawn of time, nature has conspired to pair us off . . . Adam & Eve, the animals on the ark, night and day, good and bad, yin and yang, ebony and ivory. You get the picture.

I love the symmetry of sets of anything . . . lamps, chairs, tables, art. Ah, the order of it.
Can you find all the pairs in my living room? I might have a problem. An intervention might be in order.

Don't get me wrong, I do love a little asymmetry too. But with all the chaos in the world right now, I find the balance of pairs comforting in a way. How about you?

Photos: House Beautiful, Elle Decor, My Interior Life

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I am a big fan of symmetry! Keeps everything in balance. Great read - thank you!!!!!

bluehydrangea said...

I am all about symmetry!! I am trying to loosen up a little but pairs just make me happy.

Susan said...

I love the look of symmetry as well just not the cost. I have to buy TWO. I am my mother's daughter. I am surprised by your love of symmetry and your dislike of THE director of symmetry..Kubrick.