Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fantasyland

While out shopping for actual clients yesterday (and who am I kidding, myself too), I ran across some really cool items that no one technically needed. So, of course, I immediately came up with a fantasy client. She's single and lives in a small, but lovely little apartment in a big city. Having just landed her first "real" job, she doesn't have a lot of money to spend, so thrift store and antique mall finds are a necessity (lucky for her, that's my specialty). The pair of matching loveseats I found today feature a great vintage fabric that's in good shape and immediately reminded me of Nick Olsen's apartment with his vintage sofa.

He loved the fabric and kept it as is. I would opt to do the same with the loveseat I found today. Not that the fabric is at all similar to Nick's sofa, but embracing the fun vintage fabric would save my "client" a lot of money in upholstery costs now (and it could always be recovered later) while creating a unique centerpiece in her room. None of her friends will have the same sofa, that's for sure. I was drawn to its primary colors, and oddly enough, I kept running across other pieces that would complement it. So, here's the sofa that set off my reverie . . . 
Isn't it cute? In small apartments, loveseats/settees are great options because they can move with you to a larger space one day. Today's main furniture piece can easily live at the end of a bed one day or be worked into a larger living room arrangement in the future.

Some of the chairs I found that would work well with the loveseat . . . 

 and/or . . .
I probably wouldn't do too much rattan/wicker in one space, so I would have to choose between either the first chair or the last. I like the scale of the white peacock chair because it contrasts and balances the lower caned/upholstered chairs. The bright shot of color of the first chair is nice though, so I would opt to paint the white chair a vivid hue like yellow or red. The upholstered chairs would need to be recovered, but considering their size, that wouldn't be a major expense. I would suggest something a bit geometric to balance the feminine floral on the loveseat like this . . . 

Then, there's the art I found. An edgier, modern piece to offset the girly aspect . . . 
Some bamboo framed pieces (we could easily switch out the art):
And a vintage peacock painting for some whimsy . . . 
I would pull out the green in the sofa cushions for the walls to make a enveloping emerald jewel-box of a room. Vibrant yet cozy . . .
I also found some accent furniture pieces that would finish out the room. This amazing bolstered bench is a beautiful blue velvet that would hopefully be great with some cleaning. If not, recovering it is another option:
I also spotted a tray table which would be perfect as-is (no paint required) lending a little natural element to the room. It could serve as a small cocktail table in front of the sofa now and easily be moved later.
Also, just found a cute vintage kilim rug from Craigslist that I think would add a nice layer to this space.

Combine all these finds with other affordable accessories and lighting from West Elm, IKEA, Etsy, World Market and Furbish, and you've got a great layered space. All on a budget.
While this is a fictional client, I do this for real people too. Please shoot me an email if you need help finding the perfect pieces for your home.




16 comments:

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Kathy I'm so happy you posted this today. A few weeks ago I purchased a vintage floral sofa for my waiting in the wings formal living room and I plan to work with existing floral print - it's in great shape and quilted(!). I'm going to try to butch it up a bit with a dark slate wall color and some geometric pillows for the slipper chairs. Honestly, I was a little nervous about sharing but I'm excited to see we're approaching this the same way. I love the pieces you picked to go with the sofa too - some great shopping!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Ooooooooh, good finds. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really digging the pattern on the loveseats. Not granny at all. How did you manage not to take each and every piece you shared home?

You must have insane willpower.

The Perfect Piece said...

Goosebumps. That pair of love seats are such a delicious vintage duo. Totally Miles or even Celerie Kemble. I think the green backdrop you propose would be such a stellar color choice, too. Love this spread and I absolutely think you should go back and get those love seats! Any space in the basement? At the foot of your bed? In your sweet daughter's room? In front of a kitchen window? An alternative to the console in your entry flanked by two fiddle leaf figs?
Anything, anything???

Heather Peterson said...

fun! It is soooooo tempting to buy great stuff when you find it. But I have found that I just end up hoarding a lot of stuff that way. Better to fantasize and move on!

Heather
loveyourspace.blogspot.com

Raina Cox said...

This so timely... I saw an Osborne & Little wallpaper at a showroom last week and thought "I need a client for this. She would probably be very into brass furniture and have a slight personality disorder."

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Love all the finds!! We need to go thrifting together sometime soon - Brandy....Oh and I'm still obsessing over your mirror :)

kayce hughes said...

I know where you went!
Did you get the love seat? If not I might have to head over tomorrow

Emily | Recently said...

It's almost as if you were designing this room for me in a past life. Absolute and utter perfection. The couch is amazing!

Melissa Crochet said...

Ok...where did you go and I want that peacock painting!

charmaine said...

Great finds! This is totally my style.

Erin said...

I want to shop where you're shopping!

SHERRY HART said...

Welcome to my world...the land of "Oh gosh...I must know someone who needs this"....which is how my basement filled up!

Unknown said...

Where did you find these great pieces?

My Interior Life said...

Thanks for all the kind words about my finds everyone. I'm happy to report that Kayce Hughes actually scooped up the loveseats and they'll be hanging out in one of her stores in the near future. I knew they would find a good home!

Laura Collins said...

Great Finds!! Here is the link so that you may view the pics from Charmaine's blog!! Unfortunately the images weren't working ;(

http://gracefullysearching.blogspot.ca/2012/10/craigslist-finds.html

Laura xo

Zane Wooder said...

Wouldn't it be fun to buy a house and make up a fantasy client. Then design a house just the way you would to for a client. Sound really fun to me.

-zane