Monday, October 1, 2012

Greek to Me

I'm not gonna lie, I'm currently obsessed with the Klismos (or a variation thereof) chairs in Carolina Herrera Baez's dining room featured in the most recent Elle Decor. Of course, I want to find some of my own . . . so, I'm putting it out there to the universe.

The black with gold detailing is perfection, as is the black and white ticking stripe fabric. (And, by the way, how great is that pink entryway with nailhead trim around the moldings?)

Do I need new dining room chairs? Uh, no. But when has that ever stopped me before? A girl can dream, right? I did find these online for $400/chair, but I'm thinking that's a bit rich for my blood.


So, what is a Klismos chair? Created by the Greeks in the mid-fifth century B.C., the chair features a curved backrest and tapering outcurved legs for stability. The ones in Carolina's dining room have curved back legs but straight front ones, so I'm not sure they're tecnically Klismos or maybe just a Regency cousin, but whatever they are, I like them. A lot. 

Other Klismos-style dining chairs I've long admired are the ones in Claiborne Swanson Frank's apartment . . . 

and the more modern ones Palmer Weiss used in the Elle Decor Showhouse a couple of years ago in San Diego.

Oh, why didn't I just buy these at the Habitat store two years ago when I first spied them? Oh, the regret. 

So, maybe the treasure-hunting gods will be kind and lead me to some similar chairs. I will even make a little offering . . . they can have my old dining room chairs. Fair trade, right?

6 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

kathy, i've always loved the look but didn't know anything about that style of chair.

karma, girl. hope it works out for you and the universe sends it back to ya! good luck.

donna

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I have no doubt that you will come across a set of those gorgeous chairs before long. You have really good shopping karma!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

How in the world do you still have a picture of a chair from 2 years ago?? Love the post. It is great to learn something new. - Brandy

Melissa Crochet said...

I bet you will have those chairs by the end of the week! Check with your friend that owns the creepy gas station :)

designchic said...

Don't you hate when you miss an opportunity? Love the Palmer Weiss image in the fabulous yellow!!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

guuuuurl - i am totally with you - i love a good klismos! i had spied some Oly Studio chairs that i wanted for ever, klismo style. but at 1500 a chair, i was JOKING myself. Finally, I found ONE, by its lonesome in a shop i frequent. i bargained REAL hard and took it for a song. well, a song in Oly terms. not in my own. But just a couple hundred bucks.

i will do anything to find another steal like that!