Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Glimpses

This weekend my family and I traveled to my hometown of Memphis so the cousins could hang out and we could all do some relaxing. There may have been some estate sale visiting as well. That's how I relax. Don't judge. One of our major excursions was taken on Saturday morning when we drove an hour out into the country to help pick out a puppy for my sister's family. Oh, how I love puppies! Who doesn't? If you don't, I don't want to know you.
Here's my niece Maren holding their pick. Isn't she adorable?!! Oh so sweet. They're still deciding on a name as they don't bring her home until this Saturday. So exciting!

And as I mentioned, I did manage to hit a few estate sales. While I didn't purchase anything at the first one, I was loving the mid-century modern style of this ranch home. I snapped a couple of photos of its details. First, the dining room chandelier was really cool . . . 
Then, the piece de resistance, these Greek key pulls (what is it with me and Greek key?) on the built-in cabinets in the master bedroom . . . 

 
The second home was an interesting Spanish-style home in the middle of the suburbs . . . very unusual. Apparently, the husband built this house for his Cuban-born wife to make her feel more at home. Love stories like that.
It was chocked full of art, tons of art. The first day I went was already the second day of the estate sale so everything was 30% off. Of course, I grabbed a portrait . . . 
But, I had my eye on another piece as well. So, I returned on the third day and got the piece below for 50% off. Score. 

Another great piece there that I passed on was a Sligh desk with a brass accents . . . 
Can you see the sides?
Once again, couldn't fit it in the car. Oh well. 

We made it back home late Monday and were greeted with some items my husband picked up from a local estate sale online auction that I won . . . 

A couple of x benches and some Thonet-style bentwood and caned dining chairs. I just couldn't pass these up. I haven't decided if I'm keeping or selling them, so watch out for further details. Yes, I may start selling furniture/accessories again either on my blog or at another venue, but I will definitely let you know!

14 comments:

Tiffany Leigh said...

Wow great finds!! Love those x benches and the second painting you bought. And don't worry, I'm not judging. Whenever I'm sad/mad/stressed I hit up antique stores. So calming! xo

Raina Cox said...

Honey, I would never cast aspersions on relaxation through shopping.

I'm marvel at your restraint in not renting a U-Haul to cart away that marvelous desk.

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Great finds...I scrolled down your blog and I cant believe all the great things you have found. I never find anything at our Goodwill. Love the ottomans you found.

charmaine said...

Sigh. That's all I can say. I've been thinking of maybe selling some of my finds too. How do you deal with shipping?

Matt said...

Dude, you coulda bought that desk and stuck it in the cave.

Ashley said...

Um, seriously. With all these estate sale finds you've been sharing lately, I'm beginning to think you are rubbing your luck in! I'm crazy about those Thonet chairs.

Melissa Crochet said...

Loving everything you found...to bad you couldn't have pulled that light fixture right out of the ceiling.

therelishedroost said...

What fabulous finds!! i love a good estate dale, and I think the best find of all was that adorable puppy in your nieces arms!!!Glad I found this site!
Karolyn
The Relished Roost

A Perfect Gray said...

sakes alive. you find the best stuff.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Get. Out. I think Chattanooga is the only TN town that doesn't have (much) cool stuff. I have been looking for a little upholstered bunch for ever and cannot seem to come up with one locally. I may have to order new from Ballard's - but I'm waiting for the next sale. Stop by and enter my Novica giveaway - $50 gift certificate!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

SHERRY HART said...

OMG. Seriously. You find the best stuff.

Emily | Recently said...

My heart stopped when I saw those paintings! You scored big time! And I sort of hate you (but not really) for those x benches. :)

Full House said...

REALLY????? You are the queen. I loved everything you found.

Erin said...

YOU PASSED ON THAT DESK?!

Good thing you bought those fabulous chairs and benches, otherwise I might consider you crazy.